The Spanish Wine Tourism Association (AEE) is integrated by establishments related to wine and its culture, for the support and defense of the interests of the entire Spanish wine tourism sector, through the proposal and development in business, cultural and social nature services.
Mission, Vision and Values: to contribute to the progressive union of the Spanish wine tourism sector by encouraging its coopetition through strategic actions of integration under the ‘Wine Tourism of Spain’® brand-as a global network of establishments and their destinations-, that are implemented through leading programs in promotion, research, innovation and sustainability.
Objective: To provide the sector with a solid structure for its worthy positioning in the markets.
UNWTO: to fulfill this purpose it follows and adopts, where appropriate, the guidelines, voluntary standards and work programs of the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), especially with regard to the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism.
INNOVATING FOR FOSTER DEVELOPMENT
Members of the Spanish Wine Tourism Association (AEE), national and international tourism administrations, regional and national organizations, the private sector, groups of related interest in the civil society, as well as experts and entrepreneurs in wine tourism, met in Madrid on 18 January 2018, on the occasion of the International Conference on the Future of Wine Tourism organized by AEE and held in the framework of the International Tourism Fair (Fitur).
1. Wine Tourism can achieve a strategic dimension as a knowledge and culture experience, and as an approach to values deeply rooted in the history and evolution of communities.
2. Wine Tourism provides an opportunity for the inclusive and sustainable development of regional assets in Spanish heritage both in the cultural, social and environmental fields as well as with regard to the economic objectives concerning income and employment generation.
3. Spain enjoys a leading position in international tourism markets.
4. Spain holds a consolidated international positioning as a top producer and exporter in the wine market.
5. Wine Tourism in Spain is still in the process of aligning with successful international practices. While what has been accomplished so far is significant, future achievements will be even more so.
6. The UN World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) has recognized in recent years the relevance of Wine Tourism as an instrument for sustainable and inclusive development.
7. The AEE’s aim is to contribute to the progressive consolidation of the Spanish Wine Tourism sector, fostering its coopetition through strategic, integrating actions under the brand ‘Wine Tourism of Spain’. These actions are to be implemented through majorprogrammes in promotion, research, training and innovation.
8. The AEE embraces knowledge management as a key instrument in every process of strategic positioning and decision making. Research, training and innovation in Wine Tourism are three strategic axes of AEE and its ‘Spanish Institute for Wine Tourism’.
9. Destination Management Organizations (DMOs) are the key entities for action in Wine Tourism, as is already the case for tourism in general. Strategic positioning functions; the creation of wine tourism products; carrying out promotion; quality management; ensuring the sustainability of the natural, cultural and economic environment; knowledge management and the coordination among players should be mainly developed within the destination scope and at its administrative level.
10. The structure of Wine Tourism in Spain today needs to be more innovative in both product and process development.
11. The efforts of the Spanish Wine Tourism sector have mainly taken place on an individual basis. It is now advisable that ways and means be found to promote a more cooperative way for the sector to operate.
12. It is desirable as well the creation of an integrated network of Spanish Wine Tourism knowledge management centres so as to address issues and provide solutions throughpure and applied research tools, market intelligence, education, training, information and innovation.
13. Tourism destinations are of great importance as a strategic framework in which all tourism and Wine Tourism activities fall.
14. The creation of synergies in Wine Tourism policy, through the collaborative management of Wine Tourism in Spain. All the links of the value chain -Wine Tourism and tourism related- should be included, while integrating the efforts of all agents concerned.
15. The implementation ofactions in knowledge management to promote: (i) research and analysis; (ii) dissemination of knowledge through education programs and high quality training; and (iii) application of knowledge by creating regulatory frameworks and standards (voluntary or compulsory) and innovation as a dynamic, cross-applicable element.
16. Developing and enhancingWine Tourism governance which advocates for coopetition amongst the stakeholders (cooperation and competitiveness within the sector in an optimal combination).
17. Making a commitmentto design, develop and implement Wine Tourism experiences which follow innovative guidelines and contribute to shape a competitive, high-quality wine tourism supply. This should underpin the strategic positioning of the brand Wine Tourism of Spain in international markets as well as Wine Tourism place-branding in each destination.
by Jose Antonio Vidal, president